Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Making preserves the old fashioned way 100 years ago

I made these this morning about 3:30. Preserves the old fashion way about 100 years ago..it was on a cooking show on a PBS Create channel...No refrigeration needed. I made raspberry and blackberries..I had blue berries but only one container and will make home made muffins with those..mmmmm good..lol
Recipe:
2 cups berries-fresh and not frozen (raspberry, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, boysenberries,sp..and so on
2 cups sugar
pinch of salt
2 cups boiling water
Mixed all together, stirring till sugar is dissolved and cover with plastic wrap. Leave at room temperature for 3 days..Goes well on any type of bread, biscuits, pound cake and so on..I was wondering why I was saving those Polander perserves sugar free jars now I know why...lol why not make some now with all our berries out there..
The clear bowls are for dh as they have real sugar in them..the one in the right front bowl is mine with splenda, we will see if it comes out or not..they did not do sugar free foods 100 years ago..lol Have fun, lots of hugs, Lorraine

No comments:

Handmade Pledge

I Took The Handmade Pledge! BuyHandmade.org

Time and Date

Memphis

Weather

The WeatherPixie

Arbee Designs Ruth Blanchet

Arbee Designs on Facebook
Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape

Beading Daily

I am Beading Daily

Twitter

Pango the Panda

NeoCounter

   

NeoPod

NeoPlanet

Shelfar Book Club

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog

FEEDJIT Live Traffic Feed